Maara Sairso ke Jhor:(A gravy preparation of Maara fish with mustard seed)
Maara is a small sweet water fish having a size of 4-5 cms. They belong to the same family of Pomfret, having no scales on their body and a very shiny silver skin. They are so easy to cook that no deep frying is required while preparing it.
Maara Fish: 300gms
Mustard seed: 50gms
Mustard oil: 50ml
Salt: as per taste
- Wash and marinate the fish in salt and turmeric.
- make a paste of onion, garlic and chop tomatoes and keep it ready.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add a tempering of mustard seed, add onion,garlic paste and stir fry.
- Add mustard seed paste and cook it over a moderate heat. Add tomatoes once masalas are cooked.
- Finally add marinated fish and mix it well with other ingredients. Add water and simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with chopped coriander leaves.
Innovation: Latpat Maara (small Maara fish cooked in dry mustard gravy)
Maara fish: 400gms
Mustard paste: 100gms
Green chilly paste: 25gms
Salt: As required
Onion Paste: 30gms
Mustard oil: 100ml
- Wash and marinate the fish in salt, turmeric and onion paste, make a paste of green chilly and mustard.
- Heat oil in a frying pan add marinated Maara fish, toss and stir fry for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the mixture of mustard and Green chilly paste and cook it well with fish for 8-10 minutes.
- Take out of flame, sprinkle raw mustard oil.
- Serve hot garnished with whole slit green chilies